8.3.2 might not have as many new enhancements as 8.3.1 had when it came out, but this is a giant release because of the one feature that everyone was talking about at NetApp Insight 2015 EMEA: Copy-Free Transition.
So what is Copy-Free Transition?
Copy-free transition helps lower the cost of migrating from ONTAP 7-mode to Clustered Data ONTAP. You just disconnect the disk shelves from your -Mode HA pair and connect them to a HA pair in the target cluster. You then use the 7-Mode Transition Tool to convert the metadata to the cDOT format. Read the transition guide that I linked to in the end of this blog post to make sure you fit the requirements for this method.
The migration requires a short disruption to access. So it is recommended to use application based migration if you can.
If you want to migrate from a 3rd party vendor to cDOT NetApp introduced Foreing LUN Import on Clustered DATA ONTAP 8.3.1 that is worth checking out.
What else is new?
- Support for inline deduplication on All Flash FAS and Flash Pool systems
- Storage QoS is supported on clusters that have up to 24 nodes.
- Cisco 9250i switches are supported in MetroCluster configurations
- QLE2564 quad-port FC card (X1132A-EN-R6-C) with configurable ports is supported on 8020 systems in MetroCluster configurations
- This allows a single slot to provide both FC-VI ports and FC initiator ports.
Important links for you that have NetApp support accounts:
I also recommend listening to the Tech ONTAP Podcast: